Monday, July 7, 2014

Adjusting to a new country.


 Being in a different country around people of a different culture can be so much fun and going through the process of learning and adjusting to new customs can be very challenging, but what would be life with no challenges?
The moment we start having fun and put ourselves in an optimistic mood, everything becomes so much easier and we start enjoying our adventure.
Learning a new language can be very intimidating, specially when we are so concern about making mistakes and having an accent. Also the fact that we don't belong to that circle makes us feel insecure because we are afraid of being rejected, but we can be rejected anywhere and rejection is in our mind most of the time!
Rejection is an issue that happens in every family, country and culture, but it's really up to us to let ourselves get affected by people with such a negative mentality or move on without having to feel miserable.
The truth is that going to a new country, learning a new language and customs is not easy, but it's so rewarding when we get the feeling of belonging there. It means we were able to achieved a goal!
My process of adjusting to live in USA was hard but very fun at the same time. I remember one time, when I wasn't able to speak English yet, I was waiting for the bus to go to school. There was this older man who asked me something, but I couldn't understand him and I didn't know what to say. My reaction to get out of the situation was to tell the old man by using signs that I didn't hear or speak! The poor man felt so bad that didn't know what to say and I was laughing inside of my silly reaction!
Don't let yourself to be intimidated by being around new people, culture, language or country. Enjoy the ride and the opportunity of exploring new places.






No comments:

Post a Comment