Wednesday, September 24, 2014

The advice of a curandera (white witch)

I was 15 years old when my mom took me for the very first time with a curandera; she said I needed a spiritual cleaning and protection from all the bad energies. It was hard for me to believe that there were people who could really have such a gift but, I was also curious and wanted to have the experience.
We went to a small town by the  Pacific Ocean in the state of Colima, which is my home town in Mexico. I was surprised to find this lady living in a very modest house and, she didn't charge any fees for her services; she only asked for a donation to buy candles and oils she used to work with.
This lady had the typical sweet grandma looks so I felt very comfortable being alone with her in this small room that was impregnated with the soothing scent of burning oils and flowers, I felt safe... this was her sanctuary.
She lit some candles and then she asked for permission to put her hands on my head, she closed her eyes and started praying in a dialect I couldn't understand; I was able to see her disappointment in her facial expressions and after few minutes she said to me "There is something that you've been worrying about and that is causing you stress. Would you let me see what it is so I can try to help you?" I only moved my head in an affirmative way; then she placed her hands on my head again, closed her eyes and started praying one more time. 
I would never forget what she told me after she found out what I was going through... she said to me "Only God knows why we come to this world in different ways so don't worry about being different, live your life and be happy; at the end the ones who love you would be there for you all the time. Just be careful out there and take care of yourself." It wasn't easy for me to take the advice right away, it took three more years and a lot of struggles before accepting I was gay and that I had to live my life without having to feel ashamed.
As the years have passed, I've learned to respect people's opinions, religions and beliefs because we all are different and unique so we have to make compromises to be able to live in harmony. I don't expect everybody to like my life style but I ask to be respected because I'm only a human being with the same feelings and dreams as any other person who wants to be loved. I will always disagree with the ones who hurt others to satisfy their needs... Gay or straight, no body has the right to harm other people.
Life is not unfair, we just have to accept that we all come to this world in different shapes and colors but with the same ability to love.  
Be safe my friends!

Our dream come true!

My husband and I :O)

No comments:

Post a Comment