Thursday, August 7, 2014

The right place to call home.

Being back in Mexico after more than twenty years of living in the US has been an adjustment for me. Besides the great experience I'm having exploring all the beautiful places that this country has, there are moments when I feel like I don't belong here anymore. Don't get me wrong, I'm loving living in Mexico but I'm also realizing that I miss been around people from different cultures. Then we go to cities like San Miguel de Allende, Ajijic, Puerto Vallarta,Guanajuato, etc.,  where there is a mix of expats and visitors from all over the world and I feel like I'm home again. It's such a good feeling finding cities in Mexico with a multicultural life style and even better meeting people, who are living here, from different parts of the world.
My present situation makes me remember all the adjustments I had to go through when I first moved to the states, not been able to speak English and not been used to different customs made my life very challenging. Been around people from all over the world, listening to different languages and accents plus trying to find a group where to belong to was an adventure too. It didn't take so long for me to fall in love with the multicultural life style and it would be very hard for me not to have that in my life anymore.
For all of you who are thinking about relocating to a different country or even to a different city within your own country, you have to take into consideration the kind of life style you want to have. It is very important to have a clear idea of what you want because once you make a move, it might be a little to late to change your mind. I have friends who decided to move to other cities without even knowing if it would be the right place for them, they ended up being unhappy and finally moving back to the city they were living before. There is nothing wrong with taking a risk, but sometimes is better to have a plan and ask yourself what kind of environment you want to live in.
We all dream about moving to certain places just because we hear nice things about them, but the reality is that we don't know if they would be the right choice for us. The best you can do is to make a trip to the city you have in mind moving to and try to spend as much time as you can exploring and getting the feel of it, then you can make your final decision. 
That is what JJ and I have been doing for a year and a half, exploring and getting the feel of different cities within Mexico, US and other countries so at some point we can decide to make one of these cities our home again. It's fun to be on the road all the time, but we all need to have a place to make memories and call home.
Safe travels everyone!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment